Excuses. Justifications. Rationalizations. Stories. Stretching the truth… So many ways to whitewash the lies we tell ourselves and others. Here are a few questions that might remind you of your own dalliances with dishonesty.
1. What did you say the last time you were running late?
2. Take a look at your desk at home. How many pens and paperclips and so on did you “borrow” from work?
3. How accurate is your online dating profile? How accurate do you think others are?
4. Which e-mail threads would you delete if you knew someone was going to access your e-mail account?
5. Last time someone called you out for misrepresenting something, how did you explain it?
6. What questionable things have you done because “everybody else is doing it?”
7. Which line items on your resume are a bit of stretch?
8. What did you say the last time someone asked how much you weigh?
9. If you opened your mailbox and found a letter from the IRS informing you of an audit, how concerned would you be?
10. Have you ever told someone you never got their voicemail, text, or email?
11. What did you say the last time someone you don’t particularly like asked if you wanted to go to dinner or an event?
12. Speaking of dinner, have you ever said you enjoyed dinner at someone’s house when you didn’t?
13. What do you say when your dentist asks how often you floss?
14. How many haircuts have you claimed to like in the last year? How many did you actually like?
15. What should you be doing instead of reading this blog and answering these questions?